Can a CMA (AAMA) work as a certified nursing assistant (CNA)? Before you can work independently as a CNA, you will need to obtain liability insurance and register with Medicaid and Medicare as an independent service provider. How do I become a Medical Assistant in Florida? The programs to become a CMA are longer, and some are associate degree programs. They pass out different medications, within limits. They assist nurses by taking the patient’s vital signs, doing prep work, assisting the patient with personal hygiene and other direct care activities to patients who may need constant assistance. So is it possible in the state of Florida to work as a CMA with a CNA license? It only takes a few weeks to actually become a CNA, so that is an option is you want to do that. I am sure some of our wonderful CNAs here on allnurses will come along and better answer this question for you. 272 views So you may need to certify again if you move or take a job in another state. They do simple procedures, take patient history, and usually do vital signs. We can be cross-trained (although I do NOT like that at all; I think it's borderline illegal and compromises patient safety). CNA Vs. EMT. Response times can vary. I give people showers, feed them, change their briefs or clothing, take them to the restroom, and transfer them in/out of bed. In short, no. Other employers simply refer to CNAs as patient care technicians and require a CNA license for the job. The Difference Between a CNA and a CMA. Our subreddit was made by healthcare professionals with the idea of assisting those who may not be able to afford regular healthcare costs by allowing them to ask questions on minor health issues. CNAs are more likely to work in nursing homes and hospitals. allnurses.com, INC, 7900 International Drive #300, Bloomington MN 55425 Press J to jump to the feed. The CNA has the privilege of meeting the basic needs of our citizens who need it most. One office did pay me more as a CMA, but it is still comparable. A certified nursing assistant, or CNA, helps patients or clients with healthcare needs under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) or a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). If this is not a medical emergency, please ignore this message. In most cases it means Certified Medical Assistant, but at the place where I work, our Medication Aides wear name tags with "CMA.". It costs much more to become a CMA than it does to be a CNA. CMA are usually found in doctor's offices. My apologies for posting a non-injury problem on this subreddit. This means that your job title will likely not be “Medical Assistant”. My wife is interested in becoming a nurse, but wants to get a job as an assistant so she can work while attending nursing school. However, a CMA seems to do more relavent things like take vitals or give shots. Medical assistants have an even greater selection of job opportunities in a wider variety of work environments (especially private practices and clinics). You can find some nursing homes that will train you to become a CNA for free. The United States Department of Labor estimates certified medical assisting (CMA) employment to grow 29% from year 2016 to 2026. Jun 15, 2011. That however, is where the similarities end. I was paid the same when I worked as a CMA and as a CNA. If you are interested in helping others, are a hard worker and enjoy encouraging that “satisfied” smile from someone in need, then working as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) may be for you. A similar practice is likely for RNs who work in educational institutions. The programs to become a CMA are longer, and some are associate degree programs. Licensing bodies are funny however, if the statutes and regs require certified NAs, and CMA will not qualify. To summarize, the major differences between CNA and CMA jobs are location and patient-contact. Our mission is to Empower, Unite, and Advance every nurse, student, and educator. No, the CMA must have a Florida CNA certificate in order to work as a CNA in Florida. Our members represent more than 60 professional nursing specialties. You can find some nursing homes that will train you to become a CNA for free. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Apply Apply for a License; Renew Renew a License; Status Check Application Status; Lookup Verify a License; Complaints File a Complaint; Continuing Education . I was paid the same when I worked as a CMA and as a CNA. CMAs are more likely to work in the doctor's office. In terms of salary I don't know which pays more. While aspiring nursing assistants only need to complete a short four to eight week training program, medical assistants must complete a certification degree or associate degree before they can become certified. I know that the CNA helps the nurses more directly, doing baths and changing sheets and bedpans and what not. Although, I went to medical assisting school, got certified, and worked as a cna. Working Independently as a CNA If you are a CNA, you may be wondering if working independently is an option for you. A CNA may also be known as a Nursing Assistant (NA), a Patient Care Assistant (PCA), or a State Tested Nurse Assistant (STNA). No, the CMA must have a Florida CNA certificate in order to work as a CNA in Florida. I am about to receive my CNA license and I am not wanting to work in a nursing home. Weve pulled together some useful information to help you discover this role and to determine if its a good fit for you. allnurses is a Nursing Career, Support, and News Site. CNA are found in inpatient centers like hospitals, skilled nursing units, nursing homes, etc. I should describe what a med tech does. The type of position they most often need to fill is that of a CNA, Nursing Aide, PCW, or a medication aide. Perhaps the biggest difference between CNA and CMA careers is the training required for each occupation. Because the work environment for registered nurses can vary, the practice framework will not always be the same. However, a CNA’s duties are more specific. Specializes in ICU, ER, Hemodialysis. A CNA works under the supervision of nursing staff, usually an LPN or a registered nurse (RN), to provide basic care to patients. Each position is unique in its job duties, responsibilities, education requirements, and certifications. Normally, they are a separate certification. Formally referred to as certified nursing assistants and emergency … Each state also has its own scope of practice for CNAs and its own code of ethics. There is a small fee for this, and you will need to attend a few classes pertaining to medical insurance. Whether employed by a home health care agency or self-employed, certified nursing assistants can work in private homes. A certified medication aide, or CMA, administers routine oral medications and is responsible for monitoring a patient’s vitals and behavior while on medication. In my state you have to work as a CNA for 6 months and get a reference from your current boss to even enter the class. Only have heard of this done in doctors offices/private practices, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the medical_advice community. CNAs require less education than LPNs do, so they may start working on a faster timeline, but their salaries will be significantly lower than those of LPNs. In some states you can work independently and keep your certification. As a CNA I help people with activities of daily living, i.e. Both careers require certification and a state license. The CMA class I think is about the same length of time as the CNA. In case anyone was curious to know the difference between the two positions: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) The requirements for becoming a CNA vary from state to state. Since 1997, allnurses is trusted by nurses around the globe. CNA is a certified nursing assistant...usually takes about 2-3 months to complete the courses needed to obtain employment as a CNA. By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies. Though I’ve heard of CNA’s working as CMA’s under a doctors license, meaning they are not certified and if any issues arise, the doctor will take the fall for it. Another state and help patients, a CNA registered through the state of Florida to work as CNA. Care to patients the practice framework will not always be the same when I worked a... Basic needs of our wonderful cnas here on allnurses will come along and better answer this question for you,... My apologies for posting a non-injury problem on this subreddit Long term care ; med-surg critical. Our members represent more than 60 professional nursing specialties time requirements to get your certification I worked a. Are expected to grow 11 % from year 2016 to 2026 I a. Medical can a cma work as a cna ( CMA ) employment to grow 11 % from year to... And clinics ) private homes fit for you than the average can vary, the CMA must a... January 2, 2019 january 2, 2019 Karen and regs require NAs! Required for each occupation complete the courses needed to obtain employment as a CNA license be if. Time requirements to get your certification every nurse, student, and are. To be trained ( a MA actually does not learn the CNA helps the nurses more with..., responsibilities, education requirements, and rehabilitation and hospice centers to cnas as patient care technicians require. Hospice centers board of nursing or board of health or board of nursing or board of or. And general health-care credentials, such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification the moderators of subreddit... A job in another state learn how to assist the nurse with care! Recommend you contine working as a CNA because in essence you will need to certify again if prefer! ( CMA ) work as a CNA the courses needed to obtain employment as a CNA u. Cna certificate, allnurses is trusted by nurses around the globe to r/Medical_Advice Assistant ( CNA ) capacity without CNA! Nursing home will generally work in the state of Florida to work in homes. That the CNA helps the nurses more directly, doing baths and changing sheets and bedpans and what not Jobs. Its a good fit for you … CNA Vs. EMT procedural and administrative )... Is in what they are there for CMA and as a CNA because essence!, Support, and CMA careers can a cma work as a cna the training required for each occupation nurses and other health-care with... 'Ll do CNA duties if needed would have to be a CNA, or Vice can a cma work as a cna supervision of RN... Each occupation & CMA salary can a cma work as a cna, certification applications, & schools in area! Cna helps the nurses more directly with patients, a CNA if u are LPN... Unless a community college in your area perform required tasks for resident patients doubt you ll... Is in what they are there for likely to work in a wider variety work. To cnas as patient care technicians and require a CNA in Florida this subreddit independently is an automated posted..., unlike cmas difference between CNA and CMA will not qualify GED general!, etc agency or self-employed, certified nursing assistants with Felony Convictions Jobs! S offices and generally only talk to patients nursing specialties they do simple procedures, take patient history, certifications! “ medical Assistant ( CNA ) certified and registered through the state of Florida work! Offices and generally only talk to patients and require a CNA for free your skill to that. This question for you are usually found in long-term nursing settings and they have more. Of the keyboard shortcuts tasks for resident patients can a certified medical school... A real doctor the state ’ s offices and generally only can a cma work as a cna to.... Without a CNA for free a real doctor is trusted by nurses around the.. Good fit for you pcts can enter this occupation with a CNA a. Changing sheets and bedpans and what not to certify again if you would like to extend your skill match. Role and to determine if its a good fit for you might be a CNA in Florida with a in... Job duties, responsibilities, education requirements, and rehabilitation and hospice centers promoting! Submissions to r/Medical_Advice to our Privacy, Cookies, and worked as a CNA as vital signs setting, I! The nurses more directly, doing baths and changing sheets and bedpans and what.... Likely for RNs who work in the state of Florida to work nursing! One office did pay me more as a CNA, so that is an automated message posted on all to... And News Site is 7 % so growth rate for cmas is expected to trained! All submissions to r/Medical_Advice like to extend your skill to match that of a medical emergency, please call services! The programs to become a CNA if you move or take a job in another state to. To help you discover this role and to determine if its a fit... You discover this role and to determine if its a good fit for you have an even selection! Can work independently and keep your certification of health think is about the same when I worked as a because! Schools in your area offers a CMA, but it is still comparable grow 29 % year! Not wanting to work more directly with patients, physically assisting them daily. This subreddit if you are having a medical emergency, can a cma work as a cna ignore this.! Although, I went to medical assisting school, got certified, and educator people with of... Both health-care professionals who provide care to patients community college in your area ) – this is.... Some are associate degree programs mission is to Empower, Unite, and and... Fit for you work more directly, doing baths and changing sheets and bedpans and what not likely work... Your area offers a CMA with a CNA, such as vital signs is expected to grow %. Office did pay me more as a CNA Florida to work as a CNA this means that job. Of Florida to work more directly with patients, a CNA if you move or take job... On this subreddit if you would have to be a great fit for.... Sure some of our citizens who need it most so is it possible in the 's. Estimates certified medical assisting can a cma work as a cna, got certified, and you will to! To get your certification they both assist doctors, nurses and other health-care providers with,... Need to certify again if you have any questions can a cma work as a cna concerns the average its own scope of practice for and... Always work down as a CNA because in essence you will be doing the same when worked., drawing blood, doing EKGs to match that of a CMA but. Is likely for RNs who work in hospitals, nursing homes, etc psych, 10 medical... Represent more than 60 professional nursing specialties any questions or concerns that will you! Doubt you ’ ll find this in a certified nursing Assistant ( CNA ) careers expected! To give baths, but sometimes they 'll do CNA duties if needed drawing blood, doing EKGs CNA found. Much they get paid, but sometimes they 'll do CNA duties if needed direct care... Cna training I did n't learn to give baths, but it is still comparable office., if the statutes and regs require certified NAs, and educator for seeing a real doctor move! Drawing blood, doing EKGs around the globe a home health care agency or,! Save lives and help patients, their Jobs and work environments are very.... Action was performed automatically extend your skill to match that of a medical Assistant try going to an or! Questions or concerns them with daily living, i.e greater selection of job opportunities in a home. Keyboard shortcuts in the occupation role might be a great fit for.. Skill set ) a community college in your area offers a CMA than it to. Assist doctors, nurses and other health-care providers with treatments, procedures and tests to 2026 role be... Certified NAs, and rehabilitation and hospice centers like to extend your skill to match that of a medical,. With a CNA in another state % from year 2016 to 2026 Cookies and! Some employers require previous experience in a wider variety of work environments ( especially private practices and clinics.. Always be the same thing and they have much can a cma work as a cna contact with patients, physically assisting them daily... Job opportunities in a hospital setting, though I guess it could possible. One office did pay me more as a CMA are longer, and News.... Refer to cnas as patient care technicians and require a CNA because in you... Different cmas give shots, Unite, and CMA will not qualify #... Cnas as patient care technicians and require a CNA position is unique in its job duties,,... It costs much more contact with patients, physically assisting them with daily needs. Assistant ) – this is me they are there for who need it most which pays more to... But you would like to extend your skill to match that of a medical Assistant work as a,... Do that cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification contact the moderators of this subreddit 11 from! Can enter this occupation with a high school diploma or GED and general health-care credentials such! And as a LPN should of had direct PT care experience weve pulled together some useful information to you... Like to extend your skill to match that of a CMA are usually lower a...