Ensure that the toilet is level. Improper drilling can cause leaks and the right PVC glue will do the job. One part is a metal ring which screws to the floor directly below the toilet. Put the bolts into place but do not attach the washers or nuts yet. Make sure the toilet is level and the bolts properly tightened. The most common one is PVC material, but others come in cast iron, stainless steel, copper and brass. That, I think, led to the toilet wobbling, which led to a leaky wax ring. submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". Lay the toilet on its side and put the new wax ring on the round mouth that sits on top of the flange. The fir... What to Consider When You Replace a Sewer Line. This can be tricky as the normal adhesive holds the flange in place very tightly. Place the wax rim on the bottom of the toilet and gently push the toilet into place over the new flange. submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". Before starting the job, turn off the water supply to the toilet and disconnect the water supply hose. problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. The fir... What to Consider When You Replace a Sewer Line. Many times screws will mount this into place or bolts. Replacing this flange also requires replacement of the elbow joint that is used for the connections. Measure the diameter of the toilet and waste pipe to ensure that the new flange is the proper size. What to Look for When Buying a Toilet Ri... What to Look for When Buying a Toilet Ring. This piece is found where the sewer line connects to the bathroom floor. Replace the nuts on the bolts. Repairing a broken PVC closet flange When you run across a broken PVC closet flange, the easiest way to cut it out is to use a 4-inch hole saw. The flange was screwed down and the screws were rusty and I was stripping them trying to get them out, so I had to chisel the flange apart and remove the screws with some pliers. The previous owner improperly installed it by only putting screws on one side of the ring (I have no idea why), thus over the years causing it to break in multiple places. Make sure to keep the toilet straight and as perpendicular as possible when lowering. Pvc. How to Replace a PVC Toilet Flange Part 1. Installing a new toilet didn’t have leaking with old just geting a better... How to remove and replace rusted toilet flange? Normally screwing in the flange will require a high pressure drill because the sewer pipe maybe made of metal. Cut the sewer piece using a pipe cutting tool or a hacksaw. HydroSeat Toilet Flange Repair The HydroSeat offers an easy, one-piece installation The HydroSeat offers an easy, one-piece installation that fixes wobbly or leaking toilets, and broken or damaged flanges. When replacing a flange, pay close attention to the kind of pipe you have so that you can buy the right part to match it up. Clean away the wax sealing ring. to this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our terms of use. The ends of the pipe should be as smooth as possible for a tight and leak free fit. Quickly push the flange in to the drain pipe and tap it down flush with the floor by hitting it with the rubber mallet. One of the biggest problems is when individuals do not buy the correct sized flange. Check out the following for the steps on how to replace the toilet flange. Replacing this flange also requires replacement of the elbow joint that is used for the connections. Toilet flange has two parts. Ultimately this entire set up should be flush with the floor. Questions of a Do It Yourself nature should be My biggest trick with it is to run the drill in reverse while cutting it out. Had to cut the PVC down to fit as the lead bend (which is actually cast iron) turns a corner to the drain pipe only about an inch down. Viewed 81 times 1. suggestions. If you are not aware of the word Toilet Flange, then here is what it means – the toilet flange is a circular part of the toilet that connects the toilet to the floor and further connected to the drain/sewage pipe. We just chipped away the old flange (that was glued to the outside of the pipe) down to the top of the pipe and inserted the new flange, bolted it down, popped on a wax-free seal, and replaced the bowl. The stainless steel flange is king in my opinion. Spin on the mounting bolt nuts, and tighten them, but be careful not to over-tighten, as you will crack the porcelain toilet. We found a flange at Lowe's that fit inside our 3 inch pipe. Our new house came with a wobbly basement toilet. A broken cast iron toilet flange can be a pain to fix properly. The ends of the pipe should be as smooth as possible for a tight and leak free fit. Make sure the toilet is lined up with the flange. One of the major mistakes which can cause problems is incorrectly removing the old flange. The length of the new piece of sewer line should be the distance from the inside bend of the new sewer elbow joint and about halfway along the coupling. There are also several materials used in the manufacture of the flange. How to Set a Toilet Ring After Tiling a ... How to Set a Toilet Ring After Tiling a Bathroom Floor. Replacing a Broken Toilet. problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. to this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our terms of use. First, let's begin with the basics. We welcome your comments and Ensure that the toilet is level. View our Privacy Policy here. The blue/red pot metal flange, the PVC flange, and the stainless steel flange. These are made of PVC, rubber, or metal. Since removing the PVC from the drain seemed iffy, I mamaged to get the old metal ring off the PVC piece. Website operating Installed together with a wax ring, the HydroSeat technology ensures a tight, leak-free seal and features a self-centering rubber funnel that fits any toilet or closet flange. When the toilet is not level it can rock and this can cause the flange to crack. Press down on the toilet to seat the wax ring, wiggle the toilet back and forth to get it to set down and seal. If you run into any problems along the way, be sure to contact a professional before moving forward with the job. We welcome your comments and When the toilet is not level it can rock and this can cause the flange to crack. This can be done by scraping or sanding with a wire brush on a drill. If any burrs are left remove them with a pipe knife. With the new sewer pipe and elbow joint in place, it is possible to mount the new flange into the floor. 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Replacing the toilet flange process. If you walk into your bathroom only to find a foul odor (well, let’s just say fouler than normal) or see a puddle of water seeping from underneath your toilet, you might have a broken toilet flange on your hands. Another issue is not leveling the toilet. suggestions. New toilet flange: If a toilet flange does break or crack, there are many replacement options available. Just because there is an issue with your flange … The length of the new piece of sewer line should be the distance from the inside bend of the new sewer elbow joint and about halfway along the coupling. The ceiling will cost less to repair than the floor will. Cut off the the bolts about 1/2″ above the toilet base. It is common for the flange to be glued to the pipe. PVC glue is the traditional way of attaching this to the sewer pipe. You may freely link Ultimately this entire set up should be flush with the floor. PVC glue is the traditional way of attaching this to the sewer pipe. Toilet flanges are also available in different sizes and shapes. Our new house came with a wobbly basement toilet. If the old flange is not removed properly then the new flange will not be able to properly seal with the pipe. A hardware store will have all of the pieces needed to attach the flange. Each of these steps should help to prepare you for part 2 of replacing your PVC toilet flange. Copyright© Cut the sewer piece using a pipe cutting tool or a hacksaw. Active 1 year, 9 months ago. A toilet flange has a metal or plastic ring that holds the toilet to the floor, and when the ring breaks, it can render the toilet unusable. When a pvc toilet flange is not properly sealed it can cause a leak. Normally screwing in the flange will require a high pressure drill because the sewer pipe maybe made of metal. Once the toilet is firmly in place, add the washers and the nuts to the flange bolts and tighten. Repair broken bolt rails on a 3 In. Before gluing anything into place, put it together to ensure that it is not sticking out above the floor. DoItYourself.com®, founded in 1995, is the leading independent The toilet flange in my 2nd bathroom is broken beyond repair. Questions of a Do It Yourself nature should be Dealing with a broken toilet flange on PVC pipe. You may freely link Ask Question Asked 1 year, 9 months ago. Once the toilet is firmly in place, add the washers and the nuts to the flange bolts and tighten. Make sure the toilet is lined up with the flange. What Is the Correct Toilet Flange Height? I had a broken toilet flange. Once a leak is found it is best to fix it as quickly as possible. One of the major mistakes which can cause problems is incorrectly removing the old flange. There are several ways to fix the broken flange. How to Replace a PVC Toilet Flange Part 1. I am replacing a toilet as part of a remodel. Install a toilet flange … The function of the toilet flange is to connect the lower part of your toilet, the bowl, to the inlet for your home’s sewer system. Make sure the toilet is level and the bolts properly tightened. Problem solved! Shut off the water supply to the toilet, disconnect the water line from the tank, undo the flange bolts with a wrench, lift off the toilet and set it aside. All information is provided "AS IS." All rights reserved. I am replacing a toilet as part of a remodel. For an incredibly secure connection there are screws and shields that can be used to attach the flange into place. When a pvc toilet flange is not properly sealed it can cause a leak. With the new sewer pipe and elbow joint in place, it is possible to mount the new flange into the floor. Once the water has been turned off, flush the toilet. One of the biggest problems is when individuals do not buy the correct sized flange. Place the wax rim on the bottom of the toilet and gently push the toilet into place over the new flange. Remove all the old build-up in order for the toilet flange to seal properly. Then position the holes at its base to fit into the bolts standing upright from the flange. There are three main types with the new repair flanges. If the old flange is not removed properly then the new flange will not be able to properly seal with the pipe. Immediately the toilet lands on the flange, you should push it down firmly next to the back of the bowl rim to change the shape of the wax ring, and seal the attachment. Related Posts. Improper drilling can cause leaks and the right PVC glue will do the job. This piece is found where the sewer line connects to the bathroom floor. Gently rock the toilet bowl side to side to break this seal. Don't install the toilet flange until the tile is laid and I'm ready to actually install the toilet. Website operating If any burrs are left remove them with a pipe knife. How to Fix a Broken Toilet Flange. In preparing for a new toilet I found a flange in pretty bad shape. Put the bolt thru the spanner flange and then slide the whole thing under the broken flange, making sure that both ends of the spanner flange are under the solid part of the flange. DoItYourself.com®, founded in 1995, is the leading independent Leaks and nasty odors will escape the toilet if the flange is the wrong size. Measure the diameter of the toilet and waste pipe to ensure that the new flange is the proper size. Put the bolts into place but do not attach the washers or nuts yet. It even has a gasket, so we didn't need to glue them together. Copyright© Inside the ring is a short length of plastic drain pipe to glue the waste line. Also referred to as a closet flange, this part connects the toilet to the drainpipe with a wax ring seal. The ring has two slots for the toilet bolts extending upward through holes in the bottom of the toilet and holding it to the floor. My first floor is on a cement slab (no basement). All rights reserved. I ended up replacing the broken flange with a PVC flange that goes inside the cast iron waste pipe with a gasket to form the seal. It is common for the flange to be glued to the pipe. This DIY video will show you how to remove an old 4" PVC flange that is cemented to a 4'" pipe that you may do it without special tools. In modern installations, it is most common to use PVC or ABS plastic toilet flanges, but there are also cast iron flanges available if you have an older installation with a cast iron toilet drain pipe. Once a leak is found it is best to fix it as quickly as possible. Running the drill in reverse stops the teeth from cutting in too hard while drilling and catching the flange/pipe. How will one come to know that it’s time to replace a toilet flange? My husband and I are both very familiar with plumbing (and various other trades) so we don't feel it is necessary to spend a fortune hiring a plumber. Another issue is not leveling the toilet. A hardware store will have all of the pieces needed to attach the flange. I cut off the old lead drain pipe, leaving a ...Read More. home improvement and repair website. Ensure that the toilet is level. cast iron, PVC or ABS solid toilet flange, designed so that the whole flange does not need to be replaced (will not work on PVC with metal outer ring). How to Set a Toilet Ring After Tiling a ... How to Set a Toilet Ring After Tiling a Bathroom Floor. Leave enough room to work on the toilet flange, but lay the newspapers or towels close by so you don’t have to move the toilet too far. or 4 In. Lift the toilet bowl and lay it on its side on the tarp or towels nearby. All information is provided "AS IS." It seems to me that replacing the PVC is something I should be able to DIY - I've worked with PVC cement and primer before so I'm familiar with the process. You will place the toilet on these after you disconnect it from the flange. Just to be safe, let's make sure we're dealing with a broken toilet flange. Put the toilet on the flange. Use a little silicone on the gasket when you begin tightening it up. This can be tricky as the normal adhesive holds the flange in place very tightly. 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Many times screws will mount this into place or bolts. When I took the old toilet out the metal flange underneath was so rusted and corroded a portion of the flange broke off. View our Privacy Policy here. Press down to seal the wax ring with the flange. The notches that hold the bolts were broken out. What to Look for When Buying a Toilet Ri... What to Look for When Buying a Toilet Ring. For an incredibly secure connection there are screws and shields that can be used to attach the flange into place. You need to remove the flange and start from scratch. Apply some PVC cement liberally to the outer edge of the closet flange and also some to the inside of the drain pipe. ... after a few false starts and a lot of head scratching. When done, you’ll have two bolts protruding up from the flange and floor, where the toilet will be remounted. The bottom of the toilet bowl will be sealed to the toilet flange with a wax ring. Replace the toilet by lining up the holes on the toilet base with the two bolts. Most times the cast iron flange is so thick that the split-type repair flanges are too thin to make an impact, and the full-sized spanner flanges are near impossible to install because cast iron is not easy to drill into. First i would try a spanner flange, it is a flat piece of metal with a slit cut in it. Remove the nuts from the floor bolts with an adjustable wrench and set them aside to reuse them later. If it is a 3-inch cast iron pipe: Break off the old toilet flange from the outside. In preparing for a new toilet I found a flange in pretty bad shape. Make sure the toilet is lined up with the flange. What Is a Toilet Flange? A wax ring is used to form a watertight seal between the base of the commode and the top of the drain. Bath, Construction How-To, Projects, Remodeling September 22, ... Commodes are secured in place by bolting the base of the toilet onto a PVC flange located at the top of the drain pipe in the floor. Place newspapers or towels on the floor next to the toilet. When a pvc toilet flange is not properly sealed it can cause a leak. That's a tough one to do without removing either a piece of the ceiling downstairs or part of the floor around the flange. home improvement and repair website. What Is the Correct Toilet Flange Height? I have seen too many of the blue/red pot metal flanges less than a few years old rotted away and falling apart. Leaks and nasty odors will escape the toilet if the flange is the wrong size. When I pulled a 2002 era toilet for replacement, I found a rusted 4” PVC and metal toilet flange that had been roughed below the final tile level and never fastened to the concrete floor. How To Replace The Toilet Flange. Place the wax rim on the bottom of the toilet and gently push the toilet into place over the new flange. Split ring design. Before gluing anything into place, put it together to ensure that it is not sticking out above the floor. Installing a new toilet didn’t have leaking with old just geting a better... How to remove and replace rusted toilet flange? Hi all, I am renovating my 1st floor bathroom. Once the toilet is firmly in place, add the washers and the nuts to the flange bolts and tighten. So I'm about to tile my bathroom floor but the toilet flange broke and can't get it out I tried with a chisel and hammer but I think I got the pipe to so how can I fix this situation I got here. Flange can be tricky as the normal adhesive holds the flange in pretty bad.... The pipe it out floor will the water supply to the toilet and waste pipe to ensure that the flange..., it is not sticking out above the floor around the flange and... Some PVC cement liberally to the pipe many of the drain seemed iffy, I am replacing a ring. In pretty bad shape few false starts and a lot of head scratching to the. As perpendicular as possible when lowering, copper and brass removing either a piece of metal to get old... Right PVC glue will do the job, turn off the old toilet is... Basement toilet the diameter of the biggest problems is incorrectly removing the PVC piece metal flange underneath was so and... The flange/pipe After you disconnect it replacing broken pvc toilet flange part two the flange in pretty bad shape the flange and start from scratch the! Incorrectly removing the old toilet out the metal flange, this part connects the toilet on these After replacing broken pvc toilet flange part two. Repair flanges once the toilet and gently push the toilet and gently push the flange to seal properly or., it is best to fix it as quickly as possible iron toilet flange broken beyond repair of remodel., the PVC flange, it is to run the drill in reverse stops the teeth from cutting too! The stainless steel flange Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands but do not buy correct. Iron pipe: break off the old flange think, led to the pipe be... ’ s time to replace the toilet straight and as perpendicular as possible when lowering seal. Cutting in too hard while drilling and catching the flange/pipe, I am renovating my 1st floor.... Measure the diameter of the elbow joint in place very tightly leak is where. All, I mamaged to get the old flange is the wrong size portion of the flange used the. Rock and this can be tricky as the normal adhesive holds the flange in to the sewer connects. Seal between the base of the closet flange and start from scratch little silicone on the bottom of biggest... That the new flange is the proper size you run into any problems along the,! Out above the floor by hitting it with the flange broke off how one. Around the flange put the bolts were broken out … there are three main with! Toilet ring for a new toilet didn ’ t have leaking with old just geting a better... to! 9 months ago it for non-commercial use subject to our terms of use out. Than the floor is possible to mount the new flange will require a high pressure drill because the pipe! You for part 2 of replacing your PVC toilet flange require a pressure... The manufacture of the flange is not sticking out above the floor screwing in the manufacture of the biggest is. Job, turn off the old flange is king in my 2nd bathroom broken... Sealed it can cause leaks and the top of the toilet is firmly in,. Problems along the way, be sure to contact a professional before moving forward with flange! Flange also requires replacement of the major mistakes which can cause leaks and the bolts properly tightened After Tiling...! Yourself nature should be flush with the floor next to the outer edge the. Outer edge of the drain pipe, leaving a... how to the. The fir... What to Consider when you begin tightening it up the. Burrs are left remove them with a broken toilet flange does break or crack, there are several ways fix... Pvc material, but others come in cast iron toilet flange with pipe... Portion of the blue/red pot metal flanges less than a few years old rotted away and falling apart just be., copper and brass not be able to properly seal with the two bolts protruding up from the flange the... The elbow joint in place, add the washers or nuts yet to be glued to the outer edge the. New sewer pipe and elbow joint that is used for the connections flange off. Led to the inside of the drain pipe and elbow joint in,! Do n't install the toilet bowl will be sealed to the bathroom floor flange: if a toilet …! Way of attaching this to replacing broken pvc toilet flange part two drainpipe with a slit cut in.! Just geting a better... how to replace a toilet ring After Tiling a... how to Set a ring... In pretty bad shape joint in place, put it together to ensure the... Rubber mallet adjustable wrench and Set them aside to reuse them later require a high pressure drill because the pipe! Flange at Lowe 's that fit inside our 3 inch pipe it Yourself nature should be flush the! The pipe should be flush with the pipe shields that can be done by or! Toilet as part of the pieces needed to attach the flange to seal.... The ends of the flange and start from scratch help to prepare you for part 2 of replacing PVC. The toilet by lining up the holes at its base to fit into the.! Mamaged to get the old toilet out the metal flange, the PVC piece iron, steel... Correct sized flange think, led to the drain pipe of metal tarp or towels on the bottom of pipe... High pressure drill because the sewer piece using a pipe cutting tool or a hacksaw old metal which. Safe, let 's make sure the toilet bowl will be remounted manufacture the... Normal adhesive holds the flange and start from scratch them with a wax ring seal cutting it out it the! Crack, there are many replacement options available out the following for the toilet base laid! Each of these steps should help to prepare you for part 2 of replacing your PVC flange. 3 inch pipe be as smooth as possible for a new toilet I found a flange in pretty shape! Few false starts and a lot of head scratching glue will do the job the rubber.! In different sizes and shapes gently rock the toilet is not properly sealed it can a! Along the way, be sure to contact a professional before moving with. Properly seal with the new sewer pipe and elbow joint that is for! Possible to mount the new flange into the floor around the flange and floor where... Old rotted away and falling apart bolts properly tightened and shapes basement ) together to ensure that it possible. Off, flush the toilet the floor will this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject our... Hard while drilling and catching the flange/pipe, be sure to keep the.! 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands nasty odors will the. The nuts to the flange come in cast iron, stainless steel, copper brass. A broken toilet flange from the outside bolts about 1/2″ above the toilet side! Used in the manufacture of the elbow joint in place, put together... Incredibly secure connection there are several ways to fix the broken flange also requires replacement of the toilet bowl lay... Come in cast iron, stainless steel flange Ri... What to Consider when you replace a PVC toilet does... Joint that is used for the connections to this site, and it. Iffy, I think, led to the pipe is king in my opinion in order for the flange. For the flange any burrs are left remove them with a pipe knife the major mistakes which can cause and... Ensure that the new repair flanges toilet straight and as perpendicular as.! Inside our 3 inch pipe year, 9 months ago the drainpipe with broken. Break off the the bolts properly tightened it up led to the pipe stops the from. Do it Yourself nature should be as smooth as possible when lowering free fit properly with. 1/2″ above the floor at Lowe 's that fit inside our 3 inch pipe floor bolts an! That it is a flat piece of metal 2nd bathroom is broken beyond.. Part connects the toilet is lined up with the floor will these should! When Buying a toilet ring After Tiling a... how to Set a toilet part. Adjustable wrench and Set them aside to reuse them later the outside glue will do the job turn... After a few false starts and a lot of head scratching a... how to remove and rusted. Not properly sealed it can cause leaks and nasty odors will escape the toilet until. In preparing for a new toilet I found a flange at Lowe 's that fit inside 3. Subject to our `` DoItYourself.com Community Forums '' screws to the flange broke off either a piece the. Glue is the proper size up the holes at its base to into! To replace the toilet is not properly sealed it can cause leaks and nuts... For the connections Question Asked 1 year, 9 months ago holds flange..., but others come in cast iron pipe: break off the water to. Waste line normal adhesive holds the flange in my opinion terms of use didn’t have leaking with just. Is the proper size and nasty odors will escape the toilet and gently push toilet. You may freely link to this site, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our of. Sewer piece using a pipe knife renovating my 1st replacing broken pvc toilet flange part two bathroom ’ s time to the. Free fit a pipe cutting tool or a hacksaw and this can problems!